Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Tarot Guide to gift giving pt VI

FOUR DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS! FOUR DAYS! IS IT TIME TO PANIC?????


By now I think it's no secret that I wait till the last minute to Christmas shop. I have greatest and bestest excuses and I can convince you that it is just not possible for me to start earlier. The truth is, I am overwhelmed with it all. And wouldn't you know, waiting till the very last minute does nothing to improve this situation.

I want to share with you a secret weapon for handling the enormous stress of the holidays. I present you with.....

SILLY SOCKS




Yuuuuup! Silly Socks! I'll be working till the very last minute. Everyone and their uncle is coming in for one reason or another. I'm dressed in my finest holiday office attire and the silliest socks I can find. They are a great hit with the kiddies, they notice them first, and adults find them amusing as well. This only works for me during the holidays where I'm allowed a little office silliness. Does it get any better than this? It does! For more Christmas fun I'll kick off my shoes and run around the office sporting these little darlings. More fun is annoying my co-workers with questions like 'have you noticed my socks?' (like how could you not?) 'you haven't made a comment on my socks yet!' I say this often during the day.
  
But I procrastinate...(shocker, I know)

The next gift suggestion is for Mother Smith

Guardian Angel

I love Mother Smith. She is the greatest Mother-in-law EVAH! She has welcomed me with open arms from day one. She is kind, sweet, wonderful and never has a bad word to say about anyone. At 91 and counting she does not need anymore stuff!!!! Buying for her is a challenge. Her hobbies consist of playing cards (a woman after my own heart! Lol) She goes to church every Sunday and volunteers a day a week at the church. She has lunch several times a week with her bridge buddies. She doesn't read as much as she used to. Naps a lot. Has a cinnamon roll every morning for breakfast. She raised 3 wonderful children (I snagged the best for myself!!!) She is the beloved matriarch for the Smith family.

I met her for the first time at Christmas time. She lives in Arizona, about 6 hours from here. We drove out, the day after Christmas to spend a few days with her. She bought me a little glass angel. I think of it as Mother Smiths Guardian Angel. It's clearly a Christmas type ornament but I keep it up all year and think of her whenever I see it. I was a little saddened when I pulled this card for her. She's in great shape for her age. Her mind is sharp but hearing bad. She's taken a few bad falls this year. One had her in the hospital and left her with a fair amount of metal in her wrist and arm. She's more forgetful (who isn't?). She still lives alone and even drives! This year she has decided to only drive in her little retirement community and the kids have all arranged to have mom chauffeured for shopping and doctors visits.

I sometimes wonder when I visit if this is the last time I'll see her. But after being with her for a few days I'm confident I'll have another year. Pulling this card has made me sit up and take notice. Will this be our last Christmas? She's not ready to go. She talks of moving to a more assisted living type place. We all have insisted she come live with us but she wont have it. After living alone for 15 years she likes her privacy and peace and quiet. She wants to stay near her home church and the friends she has left. She doesn't want to be fussed over. She doesn't want to burden anyone.

So what shouldz I get her? She has completely decluttered her home. She doesn't need or want more stuff. Every year she's had Christmas at her home. Every year when we come we help her take down and pack up the tree and decorations. This year she has decided not to decorate. Instead she is visiting with daughter Rozi for Christmas. We will head out to Kingman, visit for the day and then we'll pack her up and take her home and stay with her a few days. It's different this year. I know she will never put up Christmas again. She wont be having the holidays at her house again. She has quietly decided not to do certain things anymore.
This card has spoken to my heart. This year it wont be about gift giving. It's going to be about blessing and being blessed by this amazing woman.

I still want to get her something. She very well may out live us all!! ;)


LOVE, the best present of all
Peace
Priscilla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello!