Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

The long and the short of it

I have been growing out my hair for about 6 years now.
 
She asks me why, I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night, hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low, don't ask me why, I don't know
 
 
And now it is time
 
 
It's not for lack of bread, like the Greatful Dead, darlin'
Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
 
 
For a hair cut!
 
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
(I know, messy girl, this is at the end of our Thanksgiving evening)
 
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy
 
And I'm nervous about it.
Hair, flow it, show it
 
It's not that I haven’t' worn my hair short
 
Long as God can grow it, my hair
 
 
Most of my adult life my hair has been short. Like really really short.
 
Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees
 
 
And I've so enjoyed having my hair super long
 
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair
 
But now, now it is time to take it up a notch
 
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair

I think
 
 
I want long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
 
 
Because I'm starting to feel a little like Rapunzel right about now.
 
 
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided
Powered, flowered and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied
 
 
And if you find a hair in your soup, don't pull to hard.
 
Oh say, can you see my eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short
 
It's most likely still attached to my head. 
 
Long as God can grow it my HAIR!!!

I believe Hair was written by Galt MacDermot for the musical of the same name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello!